Sunday, August 9, 2015

Heading south through Canada

I didn't take many pictures on the trip south because it was raining much of the time.  It rained almost the entire time I was on the Cassiar Highway.  It was very beautiful the other 2 trips, winding between mountains and along streams and lakes, but I missed much of that this trip.  Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

There was much road construction mixed with light rain between the Alaska border and Kluane Lake.  That made quite a mess with the truck.  At Congdon CG on Kluane Lake I had to wash the rear windows, taillights, and door handle using well water.  There is permafrost a few feet down - that water was cold!

A dirty camper and truck at Congdon Creek CG

The next night I stopped at a campground just outside Watson Lake, Yukon.  While backing into a site, trying to get level, a tree reached out and whacked the back of my camper.  Only minor damage but I was not happy about that.  I then chose a different site where the trees were more friendly.

No damage to the tree.

Just before I got to the end of the Cassiar at Canada Highway 16 the weather cleared up and was mostly good the rest of the way.  I stopped at a city park in Kitwanga where the Cassiar ends, they offer free camping there. 

I missed both of those trees in Kitwanga...


 Sasquatch Provincial Park a bit east of Vancouver.  This is serious rain forest, although it was sunny that day.

That smaller tree is growing out of the stump of a much larger tree.

I crossed into Washington just east of Vancouver without a problem.  All of my border crossings consisted of just a few questions, with no inspections.  I think it helped that I ate all of my meat, milk, eggs, fruits, and vegetables before each crossing.  That was a problem going from Alaska to the Yukon, as the next grocery store is in Haines Junction, just over a days drive away.  Canned food and macaroni came in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment