Sunday, October 11, 2015

Pictures from a rock garden near Hanksville UT

I wandered down a dirt road near Hanksville UT called Factory Bench Road or Factory Butte Road (depending on which map or sign you are looking at).   It goes past Factory Butte on its way to a really neat rock garden.  This is just south of Goblin Valley State Park so it is similar but much, much smaller.  This is another place I was wishing I had a better camera.   It had rained a day earlier (the same storm that washed people away in southern Utah) and the road got soft just past the rock garden so I had to turn around and go back the way I came.   The road appears to go right up to San Rafael Reef and then turn east into Goblin Valley.  Maybe next year...

 Factory Butte on the way in.

And again on the way out.

 Interesting cracks in the rock base at the rock garden.  Mostly straight, and parallel to each other, with grass growing in them.

 Overhanging rocks and small arches galore.

 A rock island with most of its base eroded away.

Intricate shapes everywhere.

 Carved by wind, water, or both?

 A small cave with support columns.

 This looks like the work of water.

 Close-up of the cave.  Its about 2 feet tall at the highest point.

Two different kinds of rock, one dark and one light.


These were taken in mid-September.  I'm back home now and getting caught up on my blog posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment