Saturday, June 13, 2015

Cool in Montana

After a slow start - it took me a week to get out of Arizona - I got my truck in gear and headed north to Clark Canyon Lake in Montana.  I checked the calendar and saw that I would be hitting the Canadian border on Saturday.  Since I need to hit a bank for some Canadian cash for campgrounds I decided to sit here until Sunday.  That way I will cross the border on Monday morning. 


It was warm the day I got here but has been cooling off since.  I've had to resort to running the heater at night to keep warm enough to sleep.  50 degrees is just a little too cool for me. 


I have a site with a shelter over the picnic table with walls on 3 side - good for blocking the west winds.  It can get quite windy here at times although this year I didn't see any storms.  This area had over 2 weeks of rain before I got here and the mosquitoes are doing very well.  Unlike those in Wisconsin, these go to bed after sundown so that helps.  The afternoons are a little breezy so they are really only a problem in the late afternoon and early evening. 


I am far enough north that sundown is a little after 8:30 so the days are getting long. 

After I cross the border I won't have internet access until I get into Alaska unless I can find some good wifi in Whitehorse.  My Verizon jetpack doesn't work in Canada.  I expect it will take 5-7 days to get to Alaska so its not much of an issue.

The mountains of Great Basin National Park from the southeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment