Sunday, July 3, 2016

Cooling my heels in Lewis & Clark country

I just finished up 1-1/2 weeks at Clark Canyon Reservoir in southwest Montana.  Lewis & Clark passed through here both ways on their Voyage of Discovery.  One of their campsites  was at the junction of 2 creeks that join to make the Beaverhead River.  That spot is now deep under the reservoir, just upstream of the dam.  Farther down the Beaverhead joins the Ruby to form the Jefferson River, which later joins the Madison and the Gallatin to form the Missouri River. 

This is a really nice spot to spend some time in the summer, most of the time.  When their are storms in the area it can get really windy, and for hours at a time.  Yesterday was one of those days.

Since I was getting itchy to roam, and the area was rapidly filling up with 4th of July party people, I lit out for points east this morning.  I-90 stretches out before me...

 This looks like fun

 Looking southeast

Home, sweet home

And now, only 1300 miles to go to Gary's place.

No comments:

Post a Comment